Monday, April 30, 2012

Do you follow the Hype?

It begins simply: a new book is released, possibly from a little known author or maybe a well known one.

Then, it starts climbing the best seller charts. All of a sudden it's everywhere; you overhear someone in the bookstore mention it, book clubs start reading it, blogs start talking about it, and magazines have articles about it. The hype has set in...you hear things like "This is a book you need to read...NOW!" and "Have you read ______? Really? Wow, you're missing out!"

I'm not sure why I am always so late to jump on the hype-train, but for whatever reason I am. Perhaps it's because of the constant exposure, so I'm tired of the book before I even pick it up. Which really isn't fair to the book; I mean, it's popular for a reason, right? And I have noticed for many of these books, I pick them up after seeing the movie. Whatever that might mean.

Once I finally give in to the hype, I usually find myself saying something like 'I should have read this sooner" or "Yep, everyone was right, this book is great." Occasionally I have been let down as well, but I don't think this has happened quite as often. In the coming weeks I will share with you my experiences with hyped-up books, from The Hunger Games to Harry Potter and many in between.

Do you pick up a book if everyone is talking about it? Or do you find yourself holding back? Why or why not? Maybe you're answers will help me figure it out for myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment